Get your daily dose of weather news

with Scott Hetsko, Chief Meteorologist

RSS FEED SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL

Our weather blog brings you expert perspective on the latest weather news. Our weather experts share the inside scoop with blog entries from the studio and from the field. Check out the latest weather news and storm coverage in our most recent blog entries.

Tuesday, March 15

WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND


Written by: Brian Neudorff

We are in the last full week of Winter and Spring arrives on Sunday March 20th. There has been some talk about what will this blog become when the winter season is over.

I will say there is a definite drop off from winter activity by all of you as the weather gets warmer. I really don't blame you, when it is nice outside the last thing I want to do is sit inside and comment on a blog but maybe you can help us make it interesting for you.

A few ideas that people are interested in is the interaction of the lake with temperatures around the region. How the lake breeze can make it several degrees cooler in one community but warm only a few miles away. There is a lot on how the lake affects the local weather and there can be many posts on that alone.

We would also like your ideas, while we still have the attention of many of you list some topics you like to see explored. Also as the News 8 weather team prepares for the severe weather season and the severe weather special are there historic storms or events that you would like to see in the special? What severe weather have you experienced that you would like us to talk about?

I want you to know that we are not going to answer all topics and questions today or this week. This is a fact finding mission so that going into the warmer seasons we have interesting topics to talk about. Thank you

15 comments:

  1. When is Scott going to give his spring/ summer outlook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whats on my mind is that st.patricks day weather looks amazing and is it going to stay that warm?! st. patricks day is also my birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that Buffalo has one of the sunniest summers in the Northeast because of a "lake shadow". Does the same lake ERIE shadow that keeps Buffalo sunny ever reach all the way to Rochester?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have my Summer outlook when our next weather special airs. The tentative date is for April 30th. Happy Birthday/St. Patrick's Day!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. We get a similar lake shadow off of Lake Ontario. The lake Erie shadow rarely makes it that far East.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it safe to wash and put away my winter mats in the car? I washed them today and would love to put them in storage til Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question. What's up with the radar always showing more stuff all around my area (Geneseo) but not over it. Its like theres always a hole right smack over livingston county. whats the deal with that?

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd give it 3 or 4 more weeks before putting away the mats. All it takes is one night of light snow to bring that salt and slush back. I'd say, if by April 15th there is no freezing temps or snow in the forecast for the next 7 to 10 days, then you're good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not saying that this will happen. But my point of showing this is to show that there is at least SOME data suggesting we shouldn't write off winter yet. -20C at about 5,000 feet elevation, as shown here, would mean a rude slap back to winter for us. Also, the NAO shows a steep plunge into negative territory in the coming weeks, so this solution isn't necessarilly crazy. Here's the link:

    http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_pcp_216m.gif

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with DK. Too soon to think Winter like weather is over yet. Late next week may be quite chilly with some snow showers. We tend to hang onto some Winter weather through at least mid April.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if climate works this way, but maybe its a good thing if the arctic plunges all its cold air at us during late March / early April. Then, with the increasing sun angle and all that, it will have spent all its cold air and we'll have a huge abrupt swing to balmy warm temps when it really counts in late April and May. Spend it up now, and there will be no more cold air left for our lattitude later. maybe just wishful thinking tho.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Scott, did you know that Joe Bastardi has returned? 3 weeks after leaving Accuweather he has teamed up with forecaster Joe D'Aleo. Those two together may be a pretty powerful anti-AGW machine. Here's their new website:

    http://weatherbell.com/wbpremium.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Scott, I have a quick story to tell you about my classroom today. I teach reading at Churchville Elementary and today I was trying to remind one of my six year olds of his reading strategies. I asked, "So what do we do when we are unsure of something?" He answered, "Ask the weather guy, he knows everything!" :)
    Darlene Earle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to see this blog discuss meteorological concepts and terminology... I never quite paid attention to any of it in high school, but now wish I had :( When it's discussed on air I quickly forget what was explained, so it would be wonderful to read in print and possibly retain the information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think posts about how the lakes influence the region...including the finger lakes...is a great idea. One other idea is possibly how the higher terrain in the south can have an impact on Rochester's high temperature during the summer. I always hear about how if the wind is out of the south it will be warmer than it would be otherwise (if the terrain was not higher to the south).

    Also, my favorite severe weather event was Labor Day 1998. Always a good case to re-hash, and it would make a great item for a post.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive