Get your daily dose of weather news

with Scott Hetsko, Chief Meteorologist

RSS FEED SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL

Our weather blog brings you expert perspective on the latest weather news. Our weather experts share the inside scoop with blog entries from the studio and from the field. Check out the latest weather news and storm coverage in our most recent blog entries.

Monday, March 1

MARCH IN LIKE A LION OUT LIKE A LAMB


Written by: Brian Neudorff

Growing up in grade school when the month of March rolled in we were taught this little proverb about March, "in like a lion out like lamb." Ever curious how this came about? From a meteorological perspective it has a little bit of truth with it. Most places the average temperatures at the end of the month are higher than the beginning but it appears this proverb has more to do with astronomy than meteorology.


Click the above graphic and you will get a nice explanation from this cartoon by the Stargazer himself, Jack Horkheimer. That old saying that we remember hearing as kids seems to have more to do with the constellation Leo the Lion and Aries the Ram (lamb) and their position in the sky than the weather.

Not sure you could classify our weather as either lamb or lion for today. It is gray, a little unsettled with scattered areas of flurries and sprinkles. We will remain unsettled as one storm system exits to the northeast and another storm system rides up the coast farther out to sea than previous by midweek.

As I mentioned no big storms this week, but looking down the 7-day we could see a slight warm-up with sunshine towards the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. I would like a warm up! It will help to melt off what we got to make room for more :) I am running out of places to push it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    Are you from this area originally?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I am not, I'm originally from the Midwest from the state of Indiana. Is it that obvious I'm not from around here (laughing). I have lived along the Great Lakes for the last 7 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been fun out there in the summer. Lots more severe weather than out this way. Though they're known to get some pretty vicious blizzards I think too. I traveled through Indiana on the way to Chicago last year via amtrak. It's beautiful American countryside out there. Mountains are pretty to look at, but there's also something so beautiful about watching the summer sun rise over vast flat land peppered with the occasional farm house. It looked like a postcard picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian and Scott--
    Thanks for these daily Weather Postings!
    I really enjoyed the link to the Stargazer!-- I had no idea something like that could come every day to help one 'picture' the constellations! I am going to try hard this Spring, to learn more of them.
    I could always locate the dippers, large and little--- and thus I could always find the NOTH Star-- Now I want to learn more!
    Speaking of snow banks, I was born in 1940- and was raised in Wyoming County-- So I know what snow banks are!-- However- As I now turn 70-- it seems that my 4 or 5 ft banks are AWFULLY high today-- Maybe I am getting shorter!
    Mack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mack, if you ever have a question about the constellations feel free to ask me. Astronomy has always been one of my hobbies. To be honest, it was either astronomy or meteorology when I decided I didn't want to be a engineer and I choose weather. -Brian

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive